Background story:
For the last 10 years,
when I asked Jeremy what he wanted for
his birthday, Christmas, Father's Day, random Tuesday....
This was his response.
"A flat-screen TV"
It was a running joke between us.
Because our TV was perfectly fine.
Well...
So, you couldn't actually SEE movies or shows that were set
in late afternoon, evening or night time.
It was DARK.
You had to listen really hard and try to guess
what was happening...
And the volume had to be up almost as high
as it could go in order to hear it...
But it still WORKED.
So,
for the past year,
(watch out, you're going to get a little teary)
the WHOLE past year,
my dear, sweet children have been saving every
penny, nickel and dime they got.
They saved their birthday money, their hard-earned money,
and whatever they could,
to save for a TV for Dad for Father's Day.
They really had to sacrifice as I shaved money
off of the grocery bill by finding less expensive snacks
and making do without extra things.
Their dedication to getting this gift for their
dad was so touching for me to see.
I would hear them talking about how they were so excited
to see his face when they gave it to him...
They were oh, so, close at the start of June,
so we stepped it up a notch and really got busy.
They hit up all the grandmas for chores.
And they spent days sneaking out to their lemonade stand.
(So dad didn't see.)
I still can't believe they kept it a secret for so long...
They waved and smiled and danced and sang
to get people's attention.
It was adorable.
And they did it.
They made their goal.
We went to the bank and handed the poor
lady ALOT of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
to change into bigger bills.
They all made cards for dad, and put the money inside.
When they gave it to him,
He almost fell over.
Then they whisked him off to the store
to pick out the one he wanted.
Within the given budget, of course. :)
Pretty much the best Father's Day ever.
Period.
8 comments:
WOW. what a great, great, great family you have!!!! i am so impressed with everyone. awesome story. :)
So cute!! I love those kids!!:) Can't wait to see you guys SOON!
Your kids are amazing to work so hard and save for so long. You must be an awesome mom :)
I cried and I even knew what was coming!! I love those kids! They are so awesome!! Love you guys!
Yup. I'm teary.
That is the cutest thing I've ever heard! What great kids, and what a great way to learn saving and sacrifice! I LOVE IT!!!
I am with Lexi and Brittney. I even knew the story. You are a great mom and have great kids to prove it!!
NO WAY! That is awesome. You're kids are amazing... and the lessons they learned from that one experience. wow- dedication, love, work, commitment, goal setting and drive (amongst many others) right there. Wonderful family.
Post a Comment