So, by some crazy fluke (and now we can't escape), Jeremy and I have become the PTA co-chairs. Some people (Jeana) call me the "boss" and I'm not sure if they (she) just leaves off the "y" and really means that I'm just plain bossy. In any case, we have alot of fun with KPAT.
(That stands for Kemper Parents and Teachers)
May is always really crazy, so that would explain my long absence from the blogging world.
Or my rationalization, anyway....
We kick of the first week of May with Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week. We decorate the entire school with balloons and streamers, so that it's the first thing they see on Monday morning. It's awsome... A great display for not many $$$. And we make great posters that say things like, "Kemper teachers rock" and "We love our teachers and staff". (We are soooooo original!) The kids love to help with this part! They can draw crazy pictures
and put them on their own teacher's doors.
The rest of the week we do something every day for them.
On Monday, we brought in a healthy breakfast of doughnuts and milk. Even some chocolate milk! And we had gathered pics of the staff as children and put them up so the kids (and adults) could try to guess throughout the week who the pictures belonged to.
On Tuesday, we do a Teacher Spotlight (yes, I serve in primary...) by each one of their doors. Even the cooks and custodians, who LOVE it! We also give them their favorite candy bar (which is conveniently listed on the spotlight).
Wednesday, we gave them big bags of chex mix made by a group of our
dedicated parent volunteers.
Thursday, we did a "pie day", complete with a sign.... "You're as sweet as pie".
(I know!!! I am so creative!) :)
Then, Friday, we gave movie tickets to the local cinema.
And THEN..... On the Monday following (on the teacher work day), we did a fabulous fifties diner. We served hamburgers and hot dogs and fries and even shakes! The kids dressed up in poodle skirts and scarves and waited on the staff.
And, of course, being the drama queen that I am, I cannot resist the dressing up part, either.
TOO cute.
We played the awsome music of the fifties in the background. It is impossible not to dance to "Chantilly Lace". And I was singing it for a week afterwards!
It turned out really cute and they all enjoyed it!
And could I just note, that I am totally bragging on my super fantastic group of parents that help soooooo much! (By no means am I tooting my own horn) They really put their all into my crazy ideas and I give them a huge salute...
Now, that is just the beginning of May... We then turn around and tear down all our beautiful decorations and organize a blood drive. And at the very moment that my blood is leaving my veins, Jeremy is out in front of the school, trying to get 450 kids to look at a camera for a 50-year anniversary picture that will hang in the halls forever. :)
And then... we get a fleet of volunteers to man the Country Store. It's a "store" that the kids can "spend" their hard earned points for taking AR tests. They read books and take tests on them and earn points throughout the year. It's so rewarding to see the happiness on their faces as they see what their hard work has earned them. Little do they know that they are also earning a love of reading in the process...
Which is the whole point of it all.
A really long post without many pictures, I apologize...
but I wanted to thank all the great parents we have at our school for all the hours they dedicate to their kids' educational environment.
My hat is off to you!
(If I wore one!)
2 comments:
HOLY CRUD, that's awesome! You should not do such a good job, because you are a shoe in for next year :0) What a great week. I bet the teachers LOVED it!
WOW! You are one busy mom! They are lucky to have you!
Post a Comment